In this guide, we’ll walk you through the best hiking boots for wide feet. We’ll introduce you to the top brands that deliver excellent comfort and performance for hikers with wider than average feet, delve into specific models that have earned rave reviews, and even offer some pointers on how to find the perfect fit for your unique foot shape. Here’s a quick rundown of what to expect:
- An introduction to top brands Apis, Propet, and Orthofeet.
- A deep dive into individual hiking boots designed for wide feet.
- Tips for finding the perfect fit for your hiking boots.
- A wrap-up to summarize our discussion.
- Information on how to get more assistance if needed.
Brands That Got Your Back…and Feet!
When it comes to finding the perfect hiking boots for wide feet, there are three brands that offer a wide toe box that truly stand out: Apis, Propet, and Orthofeet. Each brand has a unique story to tell, and their dedication to producing quality footwear for all foot shapes and sizes is unparalleled.
- Apis: Exceptional Craftsmanship for Unique Feet
Apis has a rich heritage of over a century in shoemaking. They’ve honed their craft to perfection, especially when it comes to addressing the needs of hikers with wide feet. Their footwear provides the right blend of comfort, durability, and style, which is a testament to their meticulous design and manufacturing process.
- Propet: Comfort and Functionality Redefined
Next on our list is Propet, a brand renowned for its focus on comfort and functionality. Propet hiking boots are designed with advanced technologies and materials to offer excellent foot support, traction, and water resistance, making them a great choice for outdoor enthusiasts with wide feet.
- Orthofeet: Engineered for Foot Wellness
Last but not least is Orthofeet, a brand synonymous with orthotic footwear. Orthofeet prides itself on developing innovative footwear solutions that promote foot wellness. Their hiking boots are equipped with ergonomic soles and spacious toe-boxes, providing superior comfort and protection for wide feet.
A Deeper Look at Standout Models
Now that we’ve introduced our top brands, let’s take a closer look at some of their best hiking boots for wide feet.
Known for its durability and support, the Propet Connelly shoe is ideal for hikers looking for a blend of comfort and functionality. The shoe’s leather upper offers natural breathability, while its cushioned footbed and durable outsole provide support for long hikes.
The Orthofeet Hunter stands out with its advanced orthotic insoles that provide anatomical arch support and excellent cushioning. The boot’s non-binding design and spacious interior make it ideal for wide feet.
The Apis 9703-2L offers exceptional comfort, thanks to its leather-lined insole and flexible outsole. Its high-top design also provides excellent ankle support, making it ideal for rugged terrains.
Did You Know?
According to a study, there is no significant difference in the health benefits of mountain hiking between an environment with anthropogenic elements and one without. This means that the presence of human-made elements like buildings or roads does not necessarily impact the positive effects of hiking on your health.
Waterproof Hiking Boot – Dakota
This waterproof boot from Propet offers excellent protection in any weather, and its spacious design makes it perfect for women with wide feet. The boot also features a cushioned EVA footbed for added comfort on the trails.
With its ergonomic design and superior cushioning, the waterproof Orthofeet Delta is designed for comfort. It features a non-binding design and a spacious toe box that helps eliminate pressure on bunions and hammertoes.
The Apis 9315 is a high-top hiking boot that provides excellent ankle support. Its leather-lined insole and flexible outsole offer comfort and durability, making it a great option for women with wide feet.
Making the Right Fit
Choosing the perfect hiking boot involves more than just selecting a wide width. You need to ensure the boot fits properly in all areas to avoid discomfort or injury. The right fit for a hiking boot depends on various factors, and each one plays a critical role in ensuring comfort and functionality during your hiking adventures. Here’s an unordered list of details you should consider when buying a wide hiking boot:
- Proper Width: This is especially important for individuals with wide feet. Brands like Apis, Propet, and Orthofeet offer widths ranging from 2E to 9E for men (see here for men’s options) and 2E to 4E for women (see here for women’s options). By choosing the correct width, you can avoid issues such as blisters and pressure points.
- Correct Length: Your toes shouldn’t touch the end of the boot when you’re standing or walking. Having a small space (about a thumb’s width) between your longest toe and the end of the boot will prevent your toes from jamming into the boot on downhill hikes.
- Secure Heel: Your heel should feel secure in the boot, not slipping up and down as you walk. Excessive movement can lead to blisters and instability while hiking.
- Ankle Support: Look for boots with padded collars or high-top designs to provide good ankle support, especially if you’ll be traversing uneven or rocky terrains.
- Comfortable Insoles: The insole should be cushioned and supportive to provide comfort on long hikes. Some brands, like Orthofeet, even offer advanced orthotic insoles.
- Quality Materials: Choose boots made from durable materials that can withstand the rigors of hiking. Leather, for example, is a sturdy material that molds to your feet over time, offering an excellent balance of comfort and durability.
The importance of getting the right fit cannot be overemphasized. Improperly fitting hiking boots can not only make your hike uncomfortable but can also lead to long-term foot health issues. A properly fitted boot, on the other hand, can provide support, prevent injuries, and ultimately enhance your hiking experience. So, do not overlook this crucial step in your quest for the perfect hiking boot. If you need help figuring out your size, be sure to check out our guide on how to measure your foot size. Happy hiking!
Finding the perfect hiking boots for wide feet can be a challenge, but brands like Apis, Propet, and Orthofeet have stepped up to create options that provide comfort, durability, and style. By focusing on the proper fit and understanding the unique features of each boot, you can make an informed decision that will have your feet feeling happy on the trails. Happy Feet lead to happier hikes, after all!
For more information or if you have any questions, feel free to contact a Fitment Specialist at DT Footwear. Our team of experts is ready and willing to assist you in your journey to finding the perfect hiking boots for your wide feet. Happy hiking!
The Bundle Guarantee
Meet Bundle, here to guide you in finding the perfect shoes. Explore our wide selection of footwear for men and women today.
We offer free shipping anywhere in the U.S.
Quick delivery from 10 US warehouses
Need help with sizing? Call, email, or text to speak to our Fitment Specialists.
Receive up to 3 free inserts per shoe* with your purchase. (*Not available with all styles)
Disclaimer: Educational Information Only
The information provided here is for educational purposes only. It is not a substitute for professional medical advice or treatment, including any foot-related concerns. If you have any health issues or questions about your feet, please consult a qualified healthcare professional, like a doctor or podiatrist. Don’t ignore medical advice or delay seeking help based on what you read here or elsewhere. We’re not responsible for any harm caused by using this information. Everyone’s response to treatments can be different, and medical recommendations may change over time. If you experience a medical emergency or serious foot problem, seek immediate medical attention, or call your local emergency services. By using this resource, you agree to these terms and understand the importance of getting personalized medical advice from a qualified professional.