If you wear an ankle-foot orthosis (AFO) or Arizona brace, buying shoes can be a challenge. These devices provide support and stability to your ankles and feet, but they can also make it difficult to find shoes that fit comfortably and accommodate the bulky nature of the AFO or Arizona brace.
Here are some tips for finding the perfect pair of shoes when you wear an AFO or Arizona brace:
- Shop for shoes at stores like DT Footwear that specialize in footwear for people with special needs. These stores have a wider selection of shoes that are designed to fit comfortably over an AFO or Arizona brace. They should have a trained staff who are knowledgeable about the specific needs of people with mobility impairments and can help you find the right pair of shoes for your specific needs.
- Look for shoes that have a wide and deep toe box. When you wear an AFO or Arizona brace, your foot may be wider and longer than usual. It’s important to find shoes that have enough room in the toe box to accommodate your foot and the device. A wide and deep toe box will also provide more room for your toes to move freely and reduce the risk of irritation or blisters.
- To accomodate the extra space required for the brace, the shoes need to have a removable footbed, wider uppers and fuller extended bottoms.
- Choose shoes that are easy to put on and take off. If you have difficulty bending over or reaching your feet, look for shoes that have a wide opening, adjustable straps, or a zipper closure. These features will make it easier for you to get the shoes on and off without straining your back or muscles.
- Consider shoes with a Velcro closure. Velcro straps are adjustable and can provide a secure fit over an AFO or Arizona brace. They are also easy to fasten and unfasten, making them a good choice for people who have limited hand dexterity.
- Look for shoes with a sturdy and supportive sole. When you wear an AFO or Arizona brace, it’s important to have a pair of shoes that provide good support and stability to your feet and ankles. Choose shoes that have a thick and sturdy sole, as well as a good arch support to help keep your feet in a comfortable and neutral position.
- Try on multiple sizes and styles. It’s always a good idea to try on several pairs of shoes before making a final decision. This will help you find the pair that fits the best and feels the most comfortable. When trying on shoes, make sure to walk around in them and ensure that the brace fits flat in the shoe. Be sure to walk on carpet or other non-marring surface in case you need to return them.
- Don’t be afraid to spend a little extra on your shoes. While it can be tempting to save money by purchasing cheaper shoes, it’s worth investing in a pair of shoes that fit well and provide good support for your feet and ankles. Quality shoes will not only be more comfortable, but they will also last longer and may save you money in the long run.
In conclusion, buying shoes when you wear an AFO or Arizona brace can be a challenge, but it’s not impossible. Follow these tips and you’ll find a pair of shoes that fit well and provide the support and stability you need.
Remember to shop at stores like DT Footwear that specialize in footwear for people with special needs. Look for shoes that are easy to put on and take off, have a wide and deep toe box, and have a sturdy and supportive sole. Don’t be afraid to order a variety of sizes and styles, and consider investing in a quality pair of shoes that will last and provide the support your feet need.
If you’re struggling finding shoe that provide enough room for a foot brace, don’t hesitate to contact DT Footwear. Our team is dedicated to helping you find the right shoes to support your feet and alleviate any discomfort. We offer a wide range of options and will work with you to determine the best solution for your specific needs. Don’t let foot pain hold you back any longer – let DT Footwear help you find the perfect pair of shoes today.