A lot of adults suffer from foot pain and discomfort for a variety of reasons, but did you know that six out of 10 teens have foot pain, too? A survey conducted by the American Podiatric Medical Association (APMA) shows the following:
- sports are the number one cause of foot pain among teens;
- two out of 10 teens suffer from pain due to wearing high heels and other uncomfortable footwear; and
- less than two out of 10 teens have ever seen a podiatrist to treat foot problems.
“Foot health is incredibly important to a person’s overall health and wellbeing — especially in the teen years when feet are still growing,” said Joseph M. Caporusso, DPM, APMA president. “Our survey found that only about half of teens see feet as important to their overall health, but many are living with foot pain. It’s vital that we educate teens on how to properly care for their feet and when to visit today’s podiatrist, the foot and ankle expert.”
APMA’s survey collected the opinions of 1,000 teenagers on their attitudes toward foot health, foot care, and their knowledge of and experience with podiatrists. Among the key findings:
- Almost half reported that playing a sport was the cause of their foot pain. Seventy-five percent of high school students play a school or recreational sport, and nearly 40 percent of that group has injured their feet while participating in sports.
- Not surprisingly, gender differences were also found to play a role in how teens care for their feet. Two out of every 10 teens suffer from pain from uncomfortable shoes — girls more than boys. It’s all about the type of shoes — high heels are the most painful, reported by 64 percent of girls who took the survey.
Helpful advice from the APMA includes:
How to Choose Good Shoes
- Activity: Sports-specific shoes help protect against injury.
- Size: Teen feet are still changing and shoe sizes can vary from one brand to another.
- Support: Make sure your shoes support your feet when you walk. Well-made backless shoes and flip flops are fine, but shouldn’t be worn all the time, and high heels should be reserved for special occasions. Stilettos can be a problem due to lack of stability.
- Maintenance: Check the cushioning, tread, and midsole, and replace shoes that are showing signs of wear and tear.
Basic Foot Care
- Give ‘em a good washing: You’d think this would go without saying, but it is tempting to just swish your feet around in the shower. Podiatrists say it’s important to use soap to remove germs and grime, and it’s important to get in between your toes.
- And a thorough drying: Fungus, like the kind that causes athlete’s foot, grows in moist, damp environments. After your shower, dry your feet thoroughly, especially in between your toes. If your socks get wet during the day, change socks. (Keep an extra pair in your locker or gym bag.)
- Give toenails a little TLC: Toenails that are too long can harbor bacteria. Use a pair of toenail clippers to cut your toenails to just above or at the edge of your toe. Some docs will tell you to cut straight across the nail, but a slight curve is OK too.
Common Foot Problems…and what to do about them
- Warts: Common warts, which can appear anywhere on the body, are rough little bumps. Plantar warts, which occur on the bottom of the feet, are typically hard, flat, and rough. All warts are caused by a virus. Warts aren’t harmful, but they can be uncomfortable and unsightly. If you have warts on your feet, keep your feet clean and dry because viruses flourish in dark, wet environments.
- Sweaty, smelly feet: You can cut down on odors by keeping your feet clean and dry at all times. Rubbing powder on the bottom of your feet before putting on your socks and shoes can help too. If possible, let shoes air out for 24 hours before wearing them again. Podiatrists can help with this embarrassing problem.
- Ingrown toenails: Symptoms of an ingrown toenail include redness, swelling, and tenderness around the nail. Sometimes you can even see the nail digging directly into the toe. Try soaking the affected foot in lukewarm water and Epsom salts for 20 minutes three or four times a day. If the redness and pain don’t improve after a couple days, a podiatrist can easily treat ingrown toenails.
- Athlete’s foot: Athlete’s foot, an itchy foot condition that causes the skin to flake and peel, is caused by a fungus. Keeping your feet clean and dry can help. So can over-the-counter athlete’s foot medication. Just be sure to use the medication until the fungus is completely gone. With current medications, two to three weeks of treatment may be enough to treat athlete’s foot fungus. Stubborn cases of athlete’s foot may require a doctor’s care.
Now, what makes our website (www.dtfootwear.com) so successful?
We at www.dtfootwear.com will offer up to 3 sets of Heat Moldable Customized Inserts to you when you purchase a pair of shoes from us (FREE), and this is up to a $240.00 gift to you from us. Remember, if the bottom of your feet hurt – you lacking the in proper support in the foundation of your footwear. Then these Heat Moldable Customized Inserts are mandatory that you start using them.
Let’s break down each word ( Heat Moldable Customized Insert) for a better understanding:
Heat: means that they generate a 2 percent rise in the planter of your foot (bottom) and this in turns helps create better circulation to your feet, legs, knees, lower back and beyond. If you have edema or swelling you need these 3 sets of inserts that you change every four months, so you have a year supply from us and again FREE.
Moldable: means that our inserts will mold (100 percent) to every part of the plantar of your feet (bottom) and creates that perfect fit, support, balance, and comfort to your feet over a short period of wearing time.
Customized: means our inserts will fit you, in a short wearing period. As a simple molding procedure (that means each time you wear the insert it will form to every bottom position of your foot) and will offload and create maximum support to all necessary areas.
We carry sizes from 4A to 14E widths for Men and Women. Try to find all those sizes under one website- “UNHEARD OF”! But Yes, we do provide 9E 10E and 14E widths for Men and Women. Yes, we carry 4A (Slender eight styles) and 2A (Narrow 42 styles) for Ladies and B (Narrow 5 styles) for Men as well. So to repeat this (this is how vital these widths are to our site) that is available: Slender’s, Narrow’s to Extra Extra Extra Wide Widths (7E 9E 10E 14E) for Ladies. Narrow’s to Extra Extra Extra Wide (9E 10E 14E)Widths for Men.
We have styles in Men’s 5 to 6 (in length), and those are hard to find sizes.
We have extended bottoms for the protection of your plantar (bottom) of your feet, and there is no more hang-over, of your feet, dealing with our footwear.
We carry lengths up to a 20 for Men and 15 in Women’s.
Most of our styles are perfect for diabetics as well, but you don’t have to be a diabetic to fall in love with our footwear and inserts. 80 percent of our customers are individuals that need that added support (because their current shoe is lacking support and comfort and is very disappointing to them). They need the feeling of maximum support/comfort and the additional sense of “walking on a pillow” all day long (this pillow concept is from dealing with our unbelievable insert program) with their new footwear.
Again, receive 1 to 3 sets of Heat Moldable Customized Inserts (value up to $240) all for FREE – YES FREE!! Once you start wearing these inserts, you never go back to the conventional form of support. Most shoes and that is athletic, or comfort footwear provides poor supporting foot supplements or inserts.
We teach you how to measure your feet correctly and how our feet change, over the years, is astonishing – you don’t alone! Please if you are wearing an inside brace, let us know. If your shoes been too uncomfortable or tight over the past few months or years – you need to update your size and width information and this “inch program” is very easy to do at home. I wish you could be in our shoes and witness how many (especially Man) that been misfitting themselves over a significant period. YOU NEEED WIGGLE ROOM IN YOUR SHOES!
Still, more advantages that have helped us grow but I don’t want to put you to sleep!
“I HOPE YOU JOIN OUR TEAM!!”
#shoes, #footwear, #diabeticfootwear, #widths, #sneakers, #slippers, #therapeutic/orthoticshoes, #freeinserts, #slenderwidths, #narrowwidthsformenadnwomen, #widewidths, #extrawidewidths, #extraextrawidewidths, #support, #balance, #comfort, #extradepthconstruction, #insertsthatareFREE, #designerfootwear, #dutyfree, #freeshipping, #oversizes #undersizes, #allwidths, #finestfootwear. #dpmprogram, #nofootpain, #bunions, #hammertoes, #corns, #charcot, #plantarproblems, #clawtoes, #offloading, #footsores, #tinglinginfeet, #poorcirculationinyourfeet, #flatfeet, #edema, #swelling, #backpain, #anklepain, #kneeepain, #footpain, #tiredfeet, #sorefeet, #hurtingfeet, #6Ewidthtootight, #9E, #10E, #14E, #4ASlenderwidthforwomen, #2ANarrow widthforwomen, #NarrowBformen, #phonenumberforhelp, #freeadvice, #customizedinsertsforFREE,#highinstep, #higharch, #extendedbottoms, #paddedheelcup, #heelspur, #emailuses, #6E, #7E, #greatreturnprogram, #wiigleroom, #guanateefit, #greatsizingprogramdoneathome
Ron Heinlein | President/Founder | Cell # 909-215-1622
Designer Therapeutic Footwear Co.
Follow Us:| Facebook | Twitter | YouTube | LinkedIn