The medical term for smelly feet is bromodosis. It’s underlying cause – bacteria and moisture. Feet have sweat glands (about 250,000 actually) and the moisture caused by the sweat creates bacteria. In order to remove waste, bacteria break down dead skin cells and oils; it is this breakdown that can cause foot odor.
The good news is that there are ways to fight foot odor. We’ve listed them below. Keep in mind that while it may seem like foot odor is a problem specific to the summer months, the truth is, foot odor can happen any time of year, so if you do suffer from smelly feet, these tips are good to practice all year long.
- Wash your feet regularly. Wash your feet at least once a day. If need be, try an antibacterial soap. It’s also important to thoroughly dry your feet, especially between the toes.
- Keep your footwear clean. Air out your footwear overnight, and alternate between different pairs of shoes to give the moisture in the shoes enough time to evaporate. Bacteria love moisture! Socks should be changed every day too. You might even consider carrying an extra pair of socks with you so you can change your socks midday.
- Wear the right type of shoes. Avoid shoes that are tight and may retain moisture or shoes that don’t have ‘breathability’ such as those made from plastic. Shoes that don’t ‘breath’ promote sweating and therefore foot odor.
- Wear the right socks. Use socks with a moisture wicking system such as Orthofeet’s BioSoft socks. These types of socks absorb moisture so it doesn’t remain on your feet and cause bacteria to grow.
- Alternate or replace insoles. Insoles that are worn out or used repeatedly can become smelly just like shoes and socks. If you can, wash and dry them and use a different pair of insoles while they are drying. If your insoles aren’t washable, or you just need a new pair, you should get a new pair of quality insoles such as Orthofeet’s orthotic insoles.
- Powder and Clip. Regularly powdering your feet with an antibacterial foot powder can not only kill the bacteria of your feet that cause foot odor, but it will also help keep your feet dry. Clipping your toenails so they don’t grow too long and cleaning them regularly also helps eliminate foot odor, as bacteria can get trapped under the toenails if they are too long or unclean.
- Soak your feet. Foot soaks aren’t just for soothing your feet. They can help remove foot odor too. A soak made from warm water mixed with juice from one lemon or even with vinegar is very effective at eliminating foot odor. Just make sure that you don’t have any open cuts or sores beforehand as the lemon and vinegar can exacerbate pain from the wounds. And don’t forget to dry your feet well when you’ve finished soaking.
- Exfoliating dead skin. A good way to remove the dead skin cells that bacteria like to feed on is to use a pumice stone or a good scrub on your feet. Exfoliation can be done as part of the foot soak regimen. Done together they are very effective at controlling foot odor.
- Use an antiperspirant. Some people also apply an antiperspirant or deodorant spray to their feet. They work the same way on your feet as they do on your underarm and can help reduce the incidence of sweating.
COMBINATION OF GREAT FOOTWEAR AND GREAT HEAT MODABLE CUSTOMIZED INSERTS IS THE WINNING COMBINATION!
Let this video explain what a therapeutic design or construction is all about dealing with footwear. Therapeutic/Orthotic consider an extra depth construction.
We are a therapeutic line, and the explanation between a conventional comfort line and our’s found in the video below
Now let’s talk, in more detail, about the ten reasons what makes Therapeutic footwear so much superior to a Comfort Shoe:
1) The strongest mid-support in the shoe business. No bilateral movement view the video above for illustrations and a midsection depth that gives you support and the maximum room in the footwear world. One of many reasons why therapeutic is considered extra depth
2) The strongest heel counter in the business that helps create no bi-lateral movement and the tallest heel counter in the footwear world. A reason whey therapeutic footwear considered extra depth
3) A taller toe box to create more wiggle room and space for your toes a reason why considered an extra depth footwear
4)Extended bottoms to give you the fullest width and support than any other shoe line anywhere
5) A lightweight shoe for less wear and tear on your feet but with all that great added support
6) all removable arch support to put a more advanced support system or a customized inserts
7) Women’s styles having a 3 to 1 combination last for better fit and support for your heel
8) Fuller forefront in the construction of the footwear to create more comfort and room for that maximum support and comfort and a reason why considered extra depth footwear
9) Deeper heel counter to build more balance and support to the heel section of the foot and other reason why consider an extra depth footwear
10) Leather lining that creates more flexibility and breathability to the foot
We have 4A (Slender width for Ladies) 2A (Narrow width for Ladies), B ( Medium width for Ladies and Narrow width for Men), D (Medium width for Men and Wide width for Ladies), 2E, 3E, 4E, 5E, 6E, 7E, 9E, 10E, 14E widths in Men’s and Ladies styles
We carry up to 20 in Men’s styles, and 15 in Ladies dealing in lengths
We have 5 to 6 lengths, in selected styles for Men and 4 to 5 in Women’s length
Some additional information and explanation of this type of footwear for all the Ladies out there:
ATTENTION LADIES, HERE IS MORE INFORMATION ABOUT YOUR NEEDS:
We have all those wide widths that are needed but with our 32 new styles of women’s footwear that we will be offering a 4A (Slender) 2A (Narrow) B (Medium) D (Wide) 3E Extra Wide) 5E Extra Extra Wide, 7E Full Extra Wide 10E Extra Full Wide, 14E (Superior Extra Wide Width) widths for you ladies- that is unheard that is offered by one website.
Why having this 3 to 1 combination last is so important in creating that perfect fit for all our ladies. What does 3 to 1 combination mean? The heel counter is 3 times narrow than the ball width of the shoe. Okay, big deal? Well, this is a critical factor because a women heel structure is a great deal narrow than a Men’s and if we made all our Ladies footwear as the same last of a Men’s style- the ladies heels would slipping all day long or have a terrible fit!
Having these 1 to 3 Customized Heat Moldable Inserts ( that is Free and remember that the shoe has to have a removable footbed for these inserts to work. Not all AA widths have this, but we’ll state, on our descriptions if you can receive 1 to 3 pair of these inserts FREE- up to a $240.00 value) will make that perfect fit, comfort and support experience out of this world — especially for those NARROW FEET!.
If you know someone (Ladies) that needs sandals, casual footwear, athletic footwear in a 4A (slender width) or AA (Narrow) width- let them know we have then and a great selection as well.
All new Slender (4A) and Narrow (AA) widths for ladies- look out we will have a ton for you to choose. New Dress Boots, up to 14 inches in shaft height, for women, Dress boots and new dress styles for Men as well. All Weather Footwear and Boots for both Men and Women. Some new dressy footwear for Men and women.
All our new and old styles are therapeutic/comfort that has the best fit and support in the shoe world.
It’s nice being called the “King Of Widths”, again 4A to 14E widths, on the internet, and all found at www.dtfootweear.com
Ron Heinlein | President/Founder | Cell # 909–215–1622
Designer Therapeutic Footwear Co.
Follow Us:| Facebook | Twitter | YouTube | LinkedIn