IS IT POSSIBLE TO PREVENT BUNIONS?/dtfootwear.com
BUNIONS (HALLUX VALGUS)
- A bunion is a bony prominence from the realignment of the joint at the base of the big toes.
- Bunions most commonly affect the inner foot at the base of the big toe but also can affect the outside of the foot at the base of the little toe, referred to as a bunionette or tailor’s bunion.
- Bunions affect both women and men, however, they are more common in women.
- Bunions may or may not cause symptoms.
- Bunions are a progressive deformity.
- Treatment of bunions can include rest, icing, alteration of footwear, foot supports (orthotics), medications, steroid injections, and/or surgery.
WHAT ARE BUNIONS?
The common bunion is a localized area of enlargement or prominence of the inner portion of the joint at the base of the big toe. The enlargement actually represents a misalignment of the big toe joint (metatarsal phalangeal joint) and, in some cases, additional bone formation. The misalignment causes the big toe to point outward and rotate (medically termed hallux abducto valgus deformity) toward the smaller toes. This deformity is progressive and will increase with time although the symptoms may or may not be present. The enlarged joint at the base of the big toe (the first metatarsophalangeal joint, or MTP joint) can become inflamed with redness, tenderness, and pain. A small fluid-filled sac (bursa) adjacent to the joint can also become inflamed (bursitis), leading to additional swelling, redness, and pain. A more deep joint pain may occur as localized arthritis develops in later stages of the deformity.
A less common bunion is located at the joint at the base of the fifth (pinky) toe. This bunion is sometimes referred to as a tailor’s bunion or bunionette. The misalignment at the fifth MTP joint causes the pinky toe to point inward and create an enlargement of the joint.
Bunion Treatment & Exercises
Bunions are more common in women, as you report, and are caused by a number of reasons, including shoes that are too tight, years of abnormal motion (like dancers on point), poor foot mechanics, bone deformities, flat feet, and arthritis.
Treatment usually includes shoes with a roomy toe box (you should be able to wiggle your toes; the toe box should be wide enough to accommodate the bony prominence), padding, over-the-counter arch supports, orthotics, and taping by a physical therapist or doctor. Surgery is an option when conservative treatment fails and you have chronic pain.What are the causes of bunions?
While the precise cause is not known, it is believed that bunions are caused by multiple factors including abnormal foot function and mechanics, such as overpronation, abnormal anatomy at first MTP joint, and genetic factors. Overpronation is a common cause of bunion in younger individuals. Abnormal biomechanics can lead to instability of the metatarsal phalangeal joint and muscle imbalance, resulting in the deformity. Abnormal anatomy at the first MTP joint can predispose an individual to develop a bunion deformity. A study has found a significant genetic heritability of bunion deformity amongst Caucasians of European descent.
Although shoe gear doesn’t directly cause a bunion, it can certainly make the condition painful and swollen. Other less common causes of bunion deformities include trauma (sprains, fractures, and nerve injuries), neuromuscular disorders (polio or Charcot-Marie-Tooth disease), and limb-length discrepancies (one leg shorter than the other) where the longer leg develops the bunion. The longer limb will tend to cause the foot to overpronate.
Various arthritic conditions can cause or exacerbate bunion deformity. Gout, a painful joint condition, very commonly involves the first MTP joint, which can progress to arthritic bunion deformity. Rheumatoid arthritis often causes severe bunions to develop along with other toe deformities.
Who develops bunions?
Bunions most commonly affect women. Some studies report that bunion symptoms occur nearly 10 times more frequently in women. It has been suggested that tight-fitting shoes, especially high-heel and narrow-toed shoes, might increase the risk for bunion formation. Tight footwear certainly is a factor in precipitating the pain and swelling of bunions. Complaints of bunions are reported to be more prevalent in people who wear closed shoes than in barefoot people.
Other risk factors for the development of bunions include the abnormal formation of the bones of the foot at birth (congenital) and arthritic diseases such as rheumatoid arthritis. In some cases, repetitive stresses to the foot can lead to bunion formation. Bunions are common in ballet dancers.
What are symptoms and signs of a bunion?
Bunions may or may not cause symptoms. Early symptoms may be foot pain in the involved area when walking or wearing shoes; rest and/or change to a wider shoe relieves this pain. Shoe pressure in this area can cause intermittent pain while the development of arthritis in more severe bunions can lead to chronic, constant pain. For arthritis sufferers, removing shoes or resting does not always provide relief. Besides ill-fitting shoes, unsupportive flimsy soled shoes can add stress to the bunion joint and increase pain and instability to the area.
Bunions that cause marked pain are often associated with swelling of the soft tissues, redness, joint stiffness, and local tenderness. It is important to note that, in postpubertal men and postmenopausal women, pain at the base of the big toe can be caused by gout and gouty arthritis that is similar to the pain caused by bunions.
How do health care professionals diagnose a bunion?
A physician will consider a bunion as a possible diagnosis when noting the symptoms described above. The anatomy of the foot, including joint and foot function, is assessed during the examination. Radiographs (X-ray films) of the foot can be helpful to determine the integrity of the joints of the foot and to screen for underlying conditions, such as arthritis or gout. X-ray films are an excellent method of calculating the alignment of the toes when taken in a standing position (weight-bearing).
What is the treatment for bunions? Are there home remedies to treat bunions?
Nonsurgical treatments such as rest and wearing loose (wider) shoes or sandals (preferably with a supportive sole) can often relieve the irritating pain of bunions. Walking shoes may have some advantages, for example, over high-heeled styles that pressure the sides of the foot.
Anti-inflammatory medications, such as acetylsalicylic acid (aspirin, Ecotrin), ibuprofen (Advil, Children’s Advil/Motrin, Medipren, Motrin, Nuprin, PediaCare Fever), and naproxen (Anaprox, Naprelan, Naprosyn, Aleve), can help to ease inflammation and provide pain relief. The local cold-pack application is sometimes helpful, as well.
Bunion shields or pads can reduce pressure on the bunion caused by closed shoes. A bunion splint may also help if the condition is still in its early stage with minimal deformity. Splints help to place the toe in a corrected position while stretching tight soft tissue structures. Night splints are used while sleeping and splint booties can be worn inside a shoe. Taping and toe separators can also be used to achieve the same goal.
Stretches and manipulation of first MTP joint structures can help preserve joint mobility. This can delay the onset of arthritis at the joint — a common late-stage finding of long-term bunion deformity.
Custom orthotics are used to improve foot mechanics and address overpronation. Orthotics can prevent the progression of a bunion and relieve pain by improving joint function. In addition, orthotics need to be worn in stable, well-fitting, laced shoes. These shoes can positively influence the joint position and reduce the discomfort that is commonly encountered in ill-fitting, tight shoes.
Inflammation of the joint at the base of the big toe can often be relieved by a local injection of cortisone.
Constant pressure or friction can lead to skin breakdown and infection that may require antibiotic therapy.
When the measures above are effective in relieving symptoms, patients should avoid irritating the bunion again by optimizing footwear and foot care. Many treatments without surgery can provide pain relief. However, the only way to change the bunion structure is by performing surgery. Is surgery required to correct a bunion?
For those whose bunions cause persisting pain despite conservative care, a surgical operation is considered for correction of the bunion. The surgical operation to cure a bunion is referred to as a bunionectomy. Surgical procedures can correct deformity and relieve pain, leading to improved foot function. These procedures typically involve removing the bony growth of the bunion while realigning the big toe joint. Surgery is often, but not always, successful; failure to relieve pain can result from the big toe moving back to its previous deviated position even after surgery since bunion surgery does not always address mechanical problems. However, proper footwear and orthotics can reduce the chances of surgical failure.
IS IT POSSIBLE TO PREVENT BUNIONS?
If the diagnosis is made early on, such as in preadolescence, bunion development can be slowed and, in some cases, arrested with the proper supportive shoe gear and custom functional shoe inserts (orthotics). Physical therapy involving stretch can also be beneficial. Avoidance of certain athletic activities with improper shoe fit and toe pressure can prevent the symptoms that occur with bunions. Early examination by a podiatrist is recommended.
WHAT IS THE PROGNOSIS OF A BUNION?
The treatments described above are very effective in treating bunion deformities, and the prognosis can be excellent. However, the correct diagnosis is essential to define any underlying associated deformities as well as the bunion severity. Also, a bunion is a progressive deformity and will get worse with time. It can cause instability to the rest of the foot and sometimes lead to arthritis in the joint at the base of the big toe. It is, therefore, advised to consult with a foot specialist to fully evaluate a bunion. Early recognition, diagnosis, and bunion care can prevent debilitating aftereffects.
Prevention of a bunion is an easy procedure and that gets the best fitting footwear and create that wiggle room that needs to prevent bunions. Also, create inter structure to your footwear and that is providing the best inserts possible and well talk about these inserts below.
Go to those sites that offer 4E to 14E in widths for men and women. Very few on the internet. Go to the website that provides that complete comfort program and that is the perfect shoe and the ideal TRIPLE – LAYER HEAT MOLDABLE CUSTOMIZED INSERTS. WOW. I SEE A LOT OF INSETS BEING ADVERTISED ON TELEVISION, AND ON THE INTERNET but not the two most essential elements for maximum support, balance, proper gait, strength offered together, and that is SHOES AND INSERTS!
To find relief dealing with these bunions pleases go to www.dtfootwear.com
View all the styles and understand widths need the base as well as upper and a selection of widths (no minor league but major league) and with DTF we have 4A to 14 E widths, for men and women. With all our removable inserts we can add those great Triple-Layer Heat Moldable Customized Inserts and YES, we offer 1 to 3 sets of inserts for FREE. Listen below why these inserts are out of this world!
Where just a comfort line but so much more and here is what are the differences between Therapeutic/Orthopedic footwear and Comfort and Athletic footwear? What a difference- mainly lack bi-lateral movement on your feet, or we create a lot less wear and tear to your feet:
I receive this question quite often and especially from wives?/dtfootwear.com
My husband is suffering in his 6 E widths, and is there any width more full? Also, he’s been weaning 6 E, in a particular line of footwear for years, and they have discontinued the style, or the same style does not fit the same?
Here’s a video that explains the 6 E concept of not fitting:
What makes our shoe line unique? One of the primary reasons is the selection of widths and lengths that we carry. We have size 9 E widths for men and women that are built on extended bottoms that will give you the room your feet need. We also have 10 E and 14 E widths for men and women, which a significant part of our sales are in these sizes. If you need more substantial, we do have up to size 20 in men’s shoes and up to size 15 in women’s shoes. We have the sizes and styles to help keep your feet healthy and strong and feeling comfortable all the time
Selection of 9 E widths for Men:
I answer every email involved with my website, and there is plenty of replies in just helping them find local conditions to help them. Here is an example of a father, from Maine, that has a son that has a club foot and needs a 14 9 E for his AFO brace right foot and needs a 9 1/2 for this other his left foot. No problem was fitting him, and after approximately five phone calls – I had asked him to text a picture of both feet and especially with the brace on his left foot. Once I saw the photos – I called him right back and said that I could not help his son. The club foot was too distorted, and the brace was molded to his deformity and created correctly. I told him to have his son have a mold done for a custom shoe, and I suggested a place near his home, to get the best service. This father was so appreciative of my effort and directions, and all I stated that he tells friends about our website.
What a great feeling or blessing in all the individuals we have help in the Diabetic Medical Footwear World in the last 18 years, and I’m 72 years old with a ton of more helpful hints and direction. I want to retire from the Medical world, approximately two years, and then spend my time in helping the ‘WORLD.” through our website www.dtfootwear.com
If you got a question, don’t be shy; hopefully, I will always have an answer or direction for your needs.
MAYBE IT’S TIME THAT YOU CHANGE FOOTWEAR COMPANIES AND HAVE A BETTER UNDERSTANDING OF ORTHOPEDIC/THERAPEUTIC FOOTWEAR. THEN LET’S CREATE A BETTER UNDERSTANDING OF HOW IMPORTANT THESE TRIPLE-LAYER HEAT CUSTOMIZED MOLDABLE INSERTS ARE TO YOUR FEET AS WELL.
HERE ARE 28 REASONS THAT MAKES US, WWW.DTFOOTWEEAR.COM, SO UNIQUE OVER ANY OF OUR COMPETITION ON THE WEBSITE!
WE ARE SERIOUS ABOUT FITTING YOURSELF AND YOUR LOVED ONES PROPERLY!!
Please take a few minutes out of your busy schedule, just to read these 28 reasons and help you understand we are going to be at the top one day!
1) Do your shoes fit perfectly and give you that all-day comfort? Do you have a slender a or narrow foot, and your heel is too wide for your feet?
2) Do you have a wider foot and don’t have enough room in the toe box or the shoe?
3) Do you stand on your feet all day long, and when you get home, your feet are tired or hurting?
4) You’re a runner, and after every run, your knees, legs, ankle are sore or hurting?
5) When you wear your shoes, do you feel over the day that you have been receiving additional wear and tear to your feet?
6) Does your line of footwear offer 4A 2A B D 2E 3E 4E 5E 6E 7E 9E 19E and 14E in widths?
7) Does your current shoe line offer 4 to 17 in length for you, Ladies?
8) Does your current line offer 1 to 3 sets of FREE HEAT MOLDABLE CUSTOMIZED INSERTS on every purchase of a pair of shoes? Does your line of footwear offer split resistance bottoms with a pair of Heat Moldable Customized Inserts FREE for you, and they have style?
9) Does your current shoe line offer Reinforce toe boxes and with widths and with a pair of FREE Heat Moldable Customized inserts that come FREE?
10) Is your current shoe line a Therapeutic/Orthoptic shoe line?
11) Does your shoe line offer an “Airflow system” for your heel and then again one of those unbelievable customized heat moldable customized insets for FREE?
12) Does your current shoe line have the strongest midsection and heel counter found in the shoe business?
13) Does your shoe line offer 3 to 1 combination last (dealing with the heel) that creates a better fit or none slipping in the heel?
14) Does your shoe line offer FREE shipping anywhere in the USA – YES THAT INCLUDES HI AND ALASKA?
15) Does your shoe line SHIP INTERNATIONALLY AND OFFER FREE DUTY to all international individuals?
16) Does your shoe line offer SPECIAL ORDER and means making styles for you through one of our two factories overseas?
17) Can your shoe line backorder a style if they are out of stock and no additional cost to you? Can your shoe line make ATHLETIC footwear in widths of 9E 10E and 14E widths?
18) Does your shoe line have 198 videos that are educational and to help you understand or learn problems dealing with your feet and product knowledge of why we are so unique?
19) Does your current shoe line offer “Weather Footwear” for men and women in widths, and if the styles offer a removable footbed – then a pair of Heat Moldable Inserts will be coming along with your purchase for “FREE”?
20) Does your current shoe line offer 867 SKU’s?
21) Does your current shoe line offer VERY EASY RETURN POLICY?
22) Your ankles, back, knees, legs, hurt all the time.? We can help!
23) Are you just tired of the top of your feet hurting all the time, or your current shoes are not giving you the proper fit? We can help!
24) Are you tired of the plantar (bottom) of your feet always tired from your current footwear? We can help!
25) Does your current shoe line offer 5 to 20 in lengths in Men’s styles?
26) Does your current shoe line offer you a modification program and only charge you $95.00 for a custom insert?
27) Does your current shoe line offer a program that will add a lift, rocker bottom, extended widths, toe fillers, split sizes, and all for just $95.00?
28) We have a few more do’s that no other shoe line, on the internet, will offer. (ran out of space)
Here are two videos that explain why our footwear will fulfill all our needs for support, comfort, balance, wiggle room, proper widths, triple-layer heat-moldable customized inserts, and few more reasons why you should purchase our footwear:
FIRST VIDEO FOR MEN 1002TL
SECOND VIDEO FOR LADIES 0885 Our “0” series that has that unbelievable “Air Flow Heel System that creates that fanatic heel added support
1) Try to educate about one on one styling and see why these shoes are so many advances in what you find 80 percent of the styling on the internet.
2 ) The video’s lets you know the understanding and knowledge that I have dealing with these styles
3 ) Let you view why our products are considered Therapeutic in construction, and many of the styles have a DESIGNER appearance (or looks excellent or fashionable).
4 ) Besides these educational videos, at www.dtfootwear.com, we want to help and if we can. If we can’t, then maybe we can give you the proper direction. For example, I got a call yesterday from Arizona, and she was looking for a pair of baseball cleats for her son that wears a 4E width. She knew that we do not carry such an item, but hopefully, we could suggest, and we did.
Here is where you find these educational product videos and a full view of our 198 videos. If you don’t see a video that covers your needs – then email or call me
Eighty percent of our business is people who have no foot problems, but they want maximum comfort and support that we offer in all of our products! Having the most substantial midsection and heel counter in the shoe business is an essential element for support, balance, fit, comfort, and total happiness. Having up to 3 sets of FREE Triple-Layer Heat Moldable Customized inserts help obtain that maximum comfort and support to your feet as well.
Here’s a view video exampling the reason for these Triple-Layer Heat Moldable Customized Inserts
ALL FOUND WWW.DTFOOTWEAR.COM
MORE INFORMATION ABOUT OUR PRODUCTS that you find at www.dtfootwear.com and dealing with the Medical world (Diabetics) at DTF Co
WE COVER ALL THESE CATEGORIES BELOW:
We got those 9 E widths for Men and Ladies
We got those 10 E widths for Men and Ladies
We got those 14 E widths for Men and ladies
We have those hot designer orthopedic/therapeutic footwear for men
We have those hot orthopedic/therapeutic footwear for women
We have therapeutic/orthopedic construction in all our footwear for men and women
Bunion and hammertoe footwear for men and women
Extra – extra wide widths for all you men and women out there
Designer styling in diabetic footwear that has all those widths
Orthopedic/therapeutic footwear for outdoor people
Edema (swelling) footwear for men and women
Footwear for ladies- orthopedic shoes online
Orthopedic/therapeutic shoes online
Comfort shoes that are orthopedic/therapeutic lasted online
Women’s diabetic shoes extra wide
Extra depth athletic shoes on line
Extra extra wide men’s shoes
Extra extra wide women’s shoes
Why does DTFootwear provides up to 3 sets of inserts for every prucahse of footwear?
If you have diabetes or have edema, do these inserts help?
2) The meaning when we say “ that a therapeutic/orthopedic or orthotic inserts reduces wear and tear are dealing with your feet.” Now, all our shoes are Therapeutic/Orthopedic constructed, and these shoes create the maximum form of comfort, support, edema control, bunion, hammertoe offloading, diabetic friendly.
Here is one , of many, of our “Air Flow Heel system” that give you additional support and comfort in the heel area for your foot
3) WE have 9 E, 10 E, and 14 E widths for our Gentlemen, and this is almost unheard in the shoe world.
We can make several styles with our Special order program, and this is unheard of in the internet world dealing with footwear. Examples of a few of these styles that can convert to 9E 10E or 14 E widths:
502, 801, 802, 9702, 9708, 9705, 9713, AM5605, 9704 and more styles
4) No other footwear line will offer 4 A (Slender for Ladies) Slender (4A) Width for Women Archives – DTF – Designer Therapeutic Footwear 2A (Narrow Width for Ladies) Narrow 2A Width Shoes, Footwear for Women | Dtfootwear B (Narrow width for Men) Narrow B Widths Shoes for Men’s | Dtfootwear B ( Medium width for Ladies). Now, D- 2E-3E -4E-5E-6E-7E-8E-9E width https://dtfootwear.com/product-category/9e-styles/ 10E width Extra Extra Wide Width Style Archives – DTF – Designer Therapeutic Footwear (note three styles in stock and many more styles to convert to 10E width) and 14E width https://dtfootwear.com/product-category/mens/extra-extra-wide-width-style/ (note a number of our styles can be converted to a 14 E width) These last two clicks found from our Extra Extra Wide Widths for Men
5) We are one of the only footwear lines that will offer an extended bottom, and I’ll let this video explain to you what we mean:
6) A measuring system that will guarantee a 95 percent fitting success and No other footwear line, on the internet, can make this statement:
7) If you have Edema, Swelling with have the shoe for you and especially if you have bunion or hammertoe problems:
https://dtfootwear.com/shop/mens-single-velcro-lycra-style-for-those-ankle-and-toe-problems/ (note view the video on this page and see why we are so proud of this style)
Ron Heinlein | President/Founder | Cell # 909-215-1622 | email@example.com
I have been in the footwear business for over 50 years and been trained by the best in the Therapeutic/Orthopedic world.
DTFootwear.com Designer Therapeutic Footwear Co.
Follow Us:| Facebook | Twitter | YouTube | LinkedIn
#healthyhappyfeet#therapeuticshoe#DTFootwear#7EWidthShoes#9EWIDESHOES#10EWIDESHOES#14EWIDESHOES#WIDEWIDTHSHOES#FASHIONABLEWIDESHOES#OrthoticShoes#COMFORTSHOES#EDEMASHOES#BUNIONSHOES#DIABETICSHOES#DesignerShoes#EXTRAEXTRAWIDESHOES#Insertsforshoes#Customizeshoes#HeelAirFlowSystem#EXTRAWIDEATHETICSHOES#NARROWSHOESFORWOMEN#ORTHOTICSHOES#EXTRAWIDEWOMENSHOES#ORTHOPEDICTHERAUPETICSHOESFORMENANDWOMEN#ORTHOPEDICTHERAUPETICSHOES#FOOTWEARORTHOPEDICTHERAUPETIC#WORLDBESTORTHOPEDICTHERAUPETICFOOTWEAR#DIABETICSHOWSBOOTSNEKAERSSANDALSSLILLERALLORTHOPEDICTHERUAPETICONSTUCTEDAND DESIGNED#SHOPONLINEHSOESFREESHIPPINGFREEINSERTSALLORTHOPEDICTHERAUPETICSONSTRUCTED#EXTRAWIDEMENSHOES#WIDESHOESFORMEN#ORTHOPEDICTHERAUPTICSHOESFORDIABETICS#ONLINESHOESFREEINSERTSFREESHIPPING#DTFOOTWEARWORLDWIDEORTHOPEDICTHERAUPETICCOMFORTSHOES#WELCOMETODTFOOTWEARTHEHALTHIESTHAPPYFEETSHOELINEINTHEWORLD#SHOESIZECONVERSIONPROPERTECHNIQUEINSIZINGYOURFEET#WHATMAKES DTFOOTWEARSOMUCHMOREUNIQUETHANMOSTOFTHEWEBSITESOUTTHERE#SHOESIZECONVERSIONPROPERTECHNIQUEINSIZINGYOURFEET#WHATMAKES DTFOOTWEARSOMUCHMOREUNIQUETHANMOSTOFTHEWEBSITESOUTTHERE